Westland Wrongful Death Lawyer
Has a Family Member Suffered a Wrongful Death in Westland?
Some of the injuries claims our law firm handles involve a death caused by a negligent party. If a person has passed away in an accident, the family members of the deceased are probably entitled to compensation for their terrible loss. You will need the help of a knowledgeable Westland wrongful death lawyer. The lawyers at Marko Law fight for accident and injury victims and their loved ones every day. They might be able to help you receive compensation for your loss.A wrongful death is where the negligence or recklessness of an individual or company are responsible for a fatality. The law in Michigan understands that when one person's actions cost another their life, the responsible person needs to be legally liable to pay damages to the victim's family members. This means that when a family member dies in an accident, the surviving family members might be entitled to bring a civil claim against those responsible for the accident.
Common Kinds of Cases that Result In Wrongful Death
Some of the most common kinds of cases that lead to wrongful death are automobile accidents, slips and falls, workplace accidents, and medical malpractice.
When a Car Accident Causes Wrongful Death
Losing a loved one to a motor vehicle accident is devastating. And it can be emotionally challenging to consider what you should do next when you are so early in the grieving process. However, some people report that filing a lawsuit helped to give them comfort since they had one less thing to worry about. A wrongful death case means that something is being done to get justice for a deceased loved one. An automobile accident that leads to a wrongful death can leave a family with major stress regarding repaying medical costs, handling funeral expenses, and losing earnings from a primary provider. Marko Law can help to make sure that you get the compensation that you deserve for medical bills, lost earnings, loss of consortium, as well as pain and suffering. Wrongful death caused by an automobile accident can happen at the scene of the accident or later when the victim succumbs to their injuries. Although fatal car accidents are commonly caused by drunk motorists, distracted drivers, and speeding, practically any type of motor vehicle accident can result in a fatal crash. Some of the most common injuries from car accidents that later result in wrongful death are traumatic brain injuries, spinal cord injuries, and internal injuries. If your loved one dies from complications due to their injury, it still falls under the umbrella of wrongful death. Therefore, the at-fault party can still be sued for their negligence.
Wrongful Death Due to Slip and Fall Accidents
Slip and fall accidents are rarely considered a deadly type of accident. However, this is just not true. Slips and falls can be fatal, particularly if the head strikes the ground or another hard surface. Slips and falls can happen almost anywhere. But some of the most prevalent places where slip and falls occur that qualify as wrongful deaths are grocery stores, commercial businesses, apartment complexes, parking lots, and places of work. The way your wrongful death claim will be sought is different depending on where the accident happened. For example, claims against big commercial companies differ in their parameters and insurance policies compared to slip and fall deaths that occur at a private residence. Slips and falls can also be fatal when they happen to a senior citizen. A slip and fall can put major strain on an older person that they may never recuperate from. When you are in the later stages of life and all of a sudden you need to be bedridden for a long period of time, your chances of recovering fully are much slimmer. In fact, falls are the leading source of injury-related death for adults aged 65 and older. And this number seems to be rising.
Workplace Wrongful Death
Workplace accidents that most frequently result in deaths consist of:
- Falls from heights
- Fire and explosions
- Malfunctions or errors with equipment
- Vehicle accidents
- Exposure to dangerous substances or environments
- Accidents caused by poor training
In these instances, identifying if there is any third-party liability for negligence depends on how the accident occurred. If your loved one died because of negligent conduct of a worker from a different company, that worker or that other company can be held liable for damages. But, typically if a death or injury occurs at the workplace or while the employee is "on the clock", the case would fall under workers' compensation.
Wrongful Death Because of Medical Malpractice
Wrongful death because of medical malpractice is among the more difficult case types in personal injury law. Because of this, you need to make sure you have a qualified attorney on your side when you're handling medical malpractice of any kind. Medical malpractice that can lead to a wrongful death includes:
- Early discharge from hospital
- Incorrect medication or dosage
- Surgical mistake
- Incorrect diagnosis or overlooked diagnosis
- Birth injury
If a person you love passed away as a result of the negligence of a physician, nurse, or healthcare center, get in touch with one of our medical malpractice lawyers at Marko Law right away so we can start to investigate and build your case.
Compensation In a Wrongful Death Claim
Family members may be qualified to recoup for many types of damages and losses from a wrongful death in Westland, including:
- The pain, suffering and grief of the surviving family members. There is not a harder time in life than when you lose somebody you love. The feelings and pain you might experience can be excruciating. We understand that no amount of money will make you feel whole again. However, the loved ones have a right to a monetary recovery for the pain of experiencing this tragic experience.
- Funeral costs. Almost immediately after a tragic loss, family members have to incur significant expense for a funeral. Part of this law firm's job will be to recover expenses because of the funeral.
- Medical bills and costs. In a lot of wrongful death cases, the medical costs before passing away can be extremely expensive. Often, billing might exceed several hundred thousand dollars. Our law firm will work to recover those expenses from the negligent party.
- Loss of consortium. You have a right to recuperate for the loss of no longer being able to spend and enjoy time with your loved one.
- Loss of the future income of the deceased. Commonly the family member that dies was earning income. Family members were relying on that loved one to support the family. They have a right to recover that loss of future earnings. If needed, our law firm can hire an economist to identify what amount your loved one would have made throughout the rest of their life.
- Punitive damages. During a wrongful death case, attorneys will decide whether it is appropriate to ask for leave of Court to file a punitive damages count in the claim. Punitive damages are meant to punish the responsible party for deliberate and/or outrageous conduct.
Free Wrongful Death Case Consultation
No amount of money can properly compensate an accident victim's loved ones after a death due to negligence or recklessness. Nevertheless, these family members deserve financial relief that is offered under local and state laws. After an accident, many families choose to consult with a wrongful death lawyer in Westland to find out whether they have a case. The kind of accident can impact what options of recovery are offered to a family and how soon those cases need to be pursued. For these reasons, it is a good idea to get legal counsel as soon as possible after a death. If you think a negligent party might have caused a wrongful death of a family member in the Westland area, Reach out to us for a free wrongful death claim consultation or call (313) 777-7LAW to talk to a wrongful death lawyer in Westland.
Contact Us Today to Get a Free Consultation
If you are ready to start your case or need more information about a Wrongful Death Lawyer in Westland, Michigan, contact Marko Law Firm today. Let us represent you as you seek justice and compensation for your pain and damages. Call (313) 777-7LAW today to get a free consultation or visit our website: MarkoLaw.com to get more information.