Elder Law Attorney in Detroit, Michigan
At Marko Law, we take on legal matters that affect older and disabled people, including Medicare, social security, retirement, guardianship, and long-term planning. If you or an elderly family are in a situation that requires legal consultation and representation, we can help you through the process. We focus on the needs of older adults who have a different set of needs and circumstances than any other age group. Our legal team can handle important financial and estate planning matters, as well as day-to-day issues affecting your care, such as assisted living and life planning. Our law firm is equipped to handle the sensitive, emotional, and physical needs of older or disabled adults and can handle a variety of challenging situations. Contact Marko Law at (313) 777-7LAW and get a free consultation from our legal team. Get aggressive representation today for your elder law case.
Legal Services We Offer for the Elderly
It is important to seek out the right type of elder law attorney when you or your family members need legal assistance. We offer a broad range of legal services specifically for the elderly, including
Disability and Special Needs Planning
A properly crafted estate plan that incorporates Special Needs Planning can provide a lifetime of assistance for the special person and ensure that outside sources’ benefits are fully accessible.
Long-Term Care Planning
There are also strict laws associated with Medicaid qualification, including income limits and wealth transfer laws that could exclude you from benefits. Working with Marko Law enables you to choose the right type of planning for your specific situation.
Estate Planning and Settlement
We work with you to draft a will, living will, powers of attorney, and necessary trust documents. Our attorneys can tailor a plan to meet your specific needs. As part of your estate plan, our team can assist you with maintaining estate tax planning goals as well as charitable and lifetime gifting plans.
Guardianship or Conservatorship
Guardianship entitles you to make legal decisions for another person that pertain to their health and lifestyle. Unlike power of attorney, you are not permitted to manage their finances or legal matters but are authorized to make decisions relating to the person's accommodation and medical care.
Elder Abuse Lawyer
If you are the victim of elder abuse or you suspect neglect or abuse, we can help navigate the legal system, advocate for your family, and get the justice you deserve. It is important to hold those accountable for their actions. By pursuing legal action, you can help prevent the same thing from happening to another family.
When we get older, our medical needs--and our medical bills--go up. Applying for Medicare can help offset some of the rising costs, and our attorneys will help save you time and effort by making the application process as easy as possible. We will also help you understand the rights and compensation you are entitled to as medical situations arise in the future.
How Our Law Firm Can Help You
At Marko Law, we take care of the tough issues surrounding the elderly. We can discuss the importance of wills and estate planning, including planning for an older adult with special needs, probate proceedings, and other matters. Our legal team can help you in the following ways:
- Create a durable power of attorney.
- Provide help with health care and planning, including long-term care options, patient rights, Medicare, and health care power of attorney.
- Financial representation: financial planning (including durable financial power of attorney), housing opportunities and planning, income, estate, and gift tax matters.
- Guardianship: help with the selection and appointment of a legal guardian.
- Help locate long-term care facilities and manage assisted living costs.
- Explain nursing home resident rights and help file nursing home claims.
- Draft a living will or other advance directives, including a durable power of attorney and long-term planning documents.
Why Hire an Elder Law Attorney
An elder law attorney at Marko Law can help you in two significant ways.
1. Protect Your Assets in the Future
Our team has the expertise to make recommendations on how to plan for future care needs. We can answer questions such as:
- How can I qualify for Medicaid so it will pay for nursing home care?
- How do I protect mom’s house and assets but still afford the care she needs?
- How do I make sure my wife will have money left after all my care expenses are paid?
- What to do if I need to become dad’s guardian or conservator?
- After I pass away, will Medicaid try to get money from my estate for the medical bills they paid and cause problems for my spouse or kids?
These are complicated questions, and the answers will be different for each person. A reputable elder law attorney helps protect your senior’s legal and financial situation and helps you figure out how to pay for the care they’ll need. The fees are well worth it if they can save your family thousands of dollars and avoid future legal headaches.
2. Ensure All Documents and Procedures Are Legal
Michigan has specific laws, so you must prepare the documents correctly. This is especially true for documents like a Power of Attorney, living will (aka advance directive), and will. Our lawyers can ensure that your older adult has completed all the important legal documents and that they’re compliant with state and local laws.
Contact Us Today to Get a Free Consultation
If you are ready to get started with your case, contact Marko Law today. Let us represent you as you seek justice and compensation for your damages. Call (313) 777-7LAW today to get a free consultation from an elder law attorney in Detroit, Michigan.