Marko Law Firm - Wrongful Death Attorney in Grand Rapids, Michigan
Has a Family Member Suffered a Wrongful Death in Grand Rapids?
Some of the injuries claims our law firm takes on involve a death caused by a negligent party. If a person has died in an accident, the family members of the deceased are probably entitled to compensation for their terrible loss. You will need the assistance of a qualified Grand Rapids wrongful death attorney. The lawyers at Marko Law defend accident and injury victims and their families every day. They might be able to help you receive compensation for your loss.Wrongful death is where the negligence or recklessness of an individual or company is responsible for a casualty. The law in Michigan recognizes that when one person's actions cost another their life, the responsible individual needs to be legally liable to pay damages to the victim's family members. This means that when a loved one is killed in an accident, the surviving family members might be entitled to bring a civil claim against those responsible for the accident.
Common Types of Cases that Lead to Wrongful Death
Some of the most common kinds of situations that result in a wrongful death are car accidents, slips and falls, workplace accidents, and medical malpractice.
When a Car Accident Causes Wrongful Death
Losing a family member in a car accident is devastating. And it can be emotionally challenging to consider what you need to do next when you are so early in the grieving process. However, some people report that filing a lawsuit helped to give them peace of mind since they had one less thing to worry about. A wrongful death case means that something is being done to get justice for a deceased relative.An automobile accident that leads to wrongful death can leave a family with major stress and anxiety about repaying medical expenses, handling funeral expenses, and losing earnings from a primary provider. Marko Law can help to guarantee that you get the compensation that you are entitled to for medical bills, lost earnings, loss of consortium, and pain and suffering.Wrongful death due to an automobile accident can happen at the scene of the accident or later when the victim succumbs to their injuries. Although deadly car accidents are commonly caused by intoxicated motorists, distracted motorists, and speeding, virtually any type of car accident can cause a fatal wreck. Some of the most common injuries from motor vehicle accidents that later lead to wrongful death are traumatic brain injuries, spinal cord injuries, and internal injuries. If your loved one dies from complications because of their injury, it still falls under the umbrella of wrongful death. Therefore, the at-fault party can still be sued for their negligence.
Wrongful Death Caused By Slip and Fall Accidents
Slip and fall accidents are seldom considered a deadly kind of accident. However, this is simply not accurate. Slips and falls can be fatal, particularly if the head strikes the ground or another hard surface.Slips and falls can occur almost anywhere. But some of the most prevalent places that slip and falls happen that qualify as wrongful deaths is grocery stores, commercial businesses, apartment complexes, parking lots, and workplaces. The way your wrongful death claim will be pursued is different depending on where the accident happened. For example, cases against big commercial businesses differ in their parameters and insurance policies compared to slip and fall deaths that happen at a private residence.Slips and falls can also be fatal when they happen to a senior citizen. A slip and fall can place a major strain on an older person that they may never recover from. When you are in the later stages of life and all of a sudden you need to be bedridden for an extended period of time, your odds of recovering completely are much slimmer. As a matter of fact, falls are the leading cause of injury-related death for adults aged 65 and older. And this number appears to be increasing.
Workplace Wrongful Death
Workplace accidents that most frequently lead to deaths include:
- Falls from heights
- Fire and explosions
- Malfunctions or flaws with equipment
- Vehicle accidents
- Exposure to hazardous substances or environments
- Accidents caused by improper training
In these situations, identifying if there is any third-party liability for negligence depends on how the accident occurred. If your loved one passed away due to negligent conduct of a worker from a different company, that employee or that other company can be held responsible for damages. But, typically if a death or injury occurs at the workplace or while the worker is "on the clock", the case would fall under workers' compensation.
Wrongful Death Due To Medical Malpractice
Wrongful death due to medical malpractice is among the more difficult case types in personal injury law. Given this, you want to make sure you have an experienced attorney on your side when you're dealing with medical malpractice of any type.Medical malpractice that can cause a wrongful death includes:
- Early discharge from a medical facility
- Wrong medication or dose
- Surgical mistake
- Incorrect diagnosis or overlooked diagnosis
- Birth injury
If somebody you love died as a result of the negligence of a doctor, nurse, or healthcare center, get in touch with one of our medical malpractice attorneys at Marko Law immediately so we can begin to investigate and build your case.Compensation in a Wrongful Death CaseFamily members may be entitled to recover for several types of damages and losses from a wrongful death in Grand Rapids, including:
- The pain, suffering, and grief of the surviving family members– There is not a harder time in life than when you lose someone you love. The feelings and pain you might experience can be excruciating. We understand that no amount of money will make you feel whole again. However, the family members have a right to a financial recovery for the pain of experiencing this unfortunate experience.
- Funeral costs– Almost immediately after a tragic loss, family members have to incur substantial expenses for a funeral. Part of this law firm's role will be to recover expenses because of the funeral.
- Medical bills and expenses– In a lot of wrongful death cases, the medical costs before passing away can be incredibly expensive. Commonly, billing may exceed several hundred thousand dollars. Our law firm will work to recover those costs from the negligent party.
- Loss of consortium– You have a right to recover for the loss of no longer getting to spend and enjoy time with your family member.
- Loss of the future earnings of the deceased– Often the family member that dies was earning income. Family members were depending on that loved one to support the household. They have a right to recuperate that loss of future earnings. If needed, our law firm can hire an economist to establish what amount your loved one would have made throughout the rest of their life.
- Punitive damages– During a wrongful death case, attorneys will decide whether it is appropriate to request leave of Court to file a punitive damages count in the claim. Punitive damages are intended to punish the responsible party for deliberate and/or outrageous conduct.
Free Wrongful Death Claim Consultation
No amount of money can appropriately compensate an accident victim's loved ones after a fatality due to negligence or recklessness. Nevertheless, these family members deserve financial relief that is available under local and state laws. After an accident, many families choose to talk to a wrongful death attorney in Grand Rapids to learn whether they have a case. The kind of accident can impact what options of recovery are provided to a family and how soon those claims must be sought. For these reasons, it is a good idea to get legal counsel immediately after death.If you think a negligent party might have caused a wrongful death of a family member in the Grand Rapids area, Get in touch with us for a free wrongful death case consultation or call (313) 777-7LAW to speak to a wrongful death attorney in Grand Rapids.