Ypsilanti Wrongful Death Lawyer
Has a Family Member Suffered a Wrongful Death in Ypsilanti?
Some of the injuries cases our law firm takes on involve a death caused by a negligent party. If an individual has passed away in an accident, the family members of the deceased are likely entitled to compensation for their terrible loss. You will need the assistance of an experienced Ypsilanti wrongful death lawyer. The lawyers at Marko Law defend accident and injury victims and their loved ones every day. They may be able to help you obtain compensation for your loss.
Wrongful death is where the negligence or carelessness of an individual or company is responsible for a casualty. The law in Michigan recognizes that when one person's actions cost another his life, the responsible person should be legally liable to pay damages to the victim's loved ones. This means that when a family member is killed in an accident, the surviving family members may be entitled to bring a civil claim against those responsible for the accident.
Common Kinds of Cases that Result In Wrongful Death
A few of the most common kinds of situations that lead to wrongful death are car accidents, slips and falls, workplace accidents, and medical malpractice.
When an Automobile Accident Causes Wrongful Death
Losing a family member to an automobile accident is devastating. And it can be emotionally challenging to consider what you need to do next when you are so early in the grieving process. However, some people report that filing a lawsuit helped to give them comfort because they had one less thing to worry about. A wrongful death claim means that something is being done to get justice for a deceased family member. A motor vehicle accident that causes a wrongful death can leave a family with significant stress and anxiety about paying back medical bills, taking care of funeral costs, and losing earnings from a primary provider. Marko Law can help to make sure that you get the compensation that you deserve for medical expenses, lost earnings, loss of consortium, and pain and suffering. Wrongful death because of a motor vehicle accident can happen at the scene of the accident or later when the victim succumbs to their injuries. Although fatal motor vehicle accidents are commonly caused by intoxicated drivers, distracted drivers, and speeding, practically any type of car accident can lead to a fatal crash. A few of the most common injuries from car accidents that later lead to wrongful death are traumatic brain injuries, spinal cord injuries, and internal injuries. If your loved one passes away from complications because of their injury, it still falls under the umbrella of wrongful death. As such, the at-fault party can still be sued for their negligence.
Wrongful Death Because of Slip and Fall Accidents
Slip and fall accidents are rarely considered a fatal type of accidents. However, this is just not true. Slips and falls can be fatal, particularly if the head strikes the ground or another hard surface. Slips and falls can happen almost anywhere. However, some of the most common locations where slips and falls happen that qualify as wrongful deaths are grocery stores, commercial businesses, apartment complexes, parking lots, and workplaces. The way your wrongful death case will be sought is different depending on where the accident took place. For example, claims against large commercial companies differ in their parameters and insurance policies compared to slip and fall deaths that occur at a private residence. Slips and falls can also be deadly when they occur to an elderly person. A slip and fall can put significant strain on an older individual that they might never recuperate from. When you are in the later stages of life and all of a sudden you need to be bedridden for a long period of time, your chances of recovering fully are much slimmer. As a matter of fact, falls are the leading source of injury-related death for adults aged 65 and older. And this number appears to be rising.
Workplace Wrongful Death
Workplace accidents that most commonly cause deaths to consist of:
- Falls from heights
- Fire and explosions
- Malfunctions or flaws with equipment
- Vehicle accidents
- Exposure to hazardous substances or environments
- Accidents caused by poor training
In these instances, identifying if there is any third-party liability for negligence depends on how the accident happened. If your loved one passed away due to negligent conduct of a worker from a different company, that worker or that other company can be held liable for damages. But, typically if a death or injury happens at the workplace or while the worker is "on the clock", the case would fall under workers' compensation.
Wrongful Death Because of Medical Malpractice
Wrongful death due to medical malpractice is one of the trickier case types in personal injury law. Because of this, you need to be sure you have an experienced attorney on your side when you're dealing with medical malpractice of any type.Medical malpractice that can lead to a wrongful death includes:
- Early discharge from a medical facility
- Wrong medication or dose
- Surgical error
- Incorrect diagnosis or missed diagnosis
- Birth injury
If somebody you love passed away because of the negligence of a physician, nurse, or healthcare center, contact one of our medical malpractice lawyers at Marko Law right away so we can begin to investigate and develop your case.
Compensation in a Wrongful Death Case
Family members might be entitled to recover for various types of damages and losses from a wrongful death in Ypsilanti, including:
- The pain, suffering and grief of the surviving family members– There is not a harder time in life than when you lose someone you love. The feelings and pain you may experience can be excruciating. We understand that no amount of money will make you feel whole again. However, the family members have a right to a monetary recovery for the pain of going through this unfortunate experience.
- Funeral expenses– Almost immediately after a tragic loss, family members have to incur a significant expense for a funeral. Part of this law firm's job will be to recover expenses because of the funeral.
- Medical bills and expenses– In a lot of wrongful death cases, the medical costs prior to passing away can be extremely expensive. Often, billing may exceed several hundred thousand dollars. Our law firm will strive to recuperate those expenses from the negligent party.
- Loss of consortium– You have a right to recuperate for the loss of no longer getting to spend and enjoy time with your family member.
- Loss of the future income of the deceased– Commonly the family member that passed away was earning income. Family members were relying on that loved one to support the family. They have a right to recover that loss of future income. If necessary, our law firm can employ an economist to identify what amount your family member would have made during the remainder of his or her life.
- Punitive damages– During a wrongful death claim, attorneys will determine whether it is appropriate to ask for leave of Court to file a punitive damages count in the claim. Punitive damages are meant to punish the responsible party for intentional and/or outrageous conduct.
Free Wrongful Death Claim Consultation
No amount of money can adequately compensate an accident victim's loved ones after a fatality because of negligence or recklessness. Nevertheless, these family members are entitled to financial relief that is offered under local and state laws. After an accident, lots of families decide to consult with a wrongful death lawyer in Ypsilanti to figure out whether they have a case. The kind of accident can impact what options of recovery are available to a family and how soon those cases must be sought. For these reasons, it is a good idea to pursue legal counsel immediately after death. If you believe a negligent party may have caused a wrongful death of a family member in the Ypsilanti area, Get in touch with us for a free wrongful death claim consultation or call (313) 777-7LAW to talk to a wrongful death lawyer in Ypsilanti.